About Pet Blogs United

Pet Blogs United aims to support our fellow pet bloggers by encouraging members to visit other members and leave comments. It’s a great way to find great blogs & new friends.

Pet bloggers are some of the kindest people we’ve come across, so we know that with your help, this site will become a great place for everyone.
We will have a featured blogger every week once we get going and that person will hopefully be showered with comments from our members.

To be a PBU featured blogger, first become a follower through Google Friend Connect (juct click the follow button you always see). Then just send an e-mail to Pet Blogs United. We'll contact you, have you pick some of your favorite posts and feature you when your turn comes up on the list. Pet Blogs United will only feature blogs about, by or for pets & animals.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Elka Almanac ~ Featured Blogger

This week we are proud to introduce you to the gang at the Elka Almanac.

I started the Elka Almanac blog right before Elka turned 2. If I had to go back and do it over again, I would have started the blog sooner. I also would have taken far more puppy pictures of Elka, but managing a Doberman puppy, even a "non working drive" one, takes far more attention and energy than I had anticipated! I realized that I would talk exhaustively about Elka, training, and dogs in general, and my immediate circle of friends and acquaintances wasn't really as gung ho on those topics as I am. Meeting people online, both through message boards and through blogging, has been wonderful for my own education, and for my motivation to train Elka and try new things.

Having a dog blog is a funny thing. It's a platform politically, as I'm anti Breed-Specific Legislation, and pro support of Military Working Dogs. It's a social meeting, as I comment on other peoples' blogs and they comment on mine, and banter is exchanged in Twitter. It's also a marketing tool, as I review toys and products for Elka, showing what's worked for us, and shaking my head over pet food recalls (and sometimes the lack thereof). It's also a training ground, both for me as a novice to both the dog training world and the social networking scene, and by extension for Elka, who gets her picture taken more often than she's strictly pleased with!

I noticed early on in my Doberman ownership that reading as much as I could about training also encouraged me to be a better dog owner, and trainer. For better or for worse, I've trained Elka myself, and I find that I'm proud of her very often. We chose the Doberman breed, and then Elka, because I wanted what was touted as a smart dog, because I like big dogs, and because I like black dogs. Smart is certainly what we got! Watching Elka learn new things, and try to work out problems in that pointy head of hers, is truly a joy.

3 of my favorite posts:
How to Make a Doberman Mean

10 Things You Might Be Doing Wrong Walking Your Dog

Command Clinic: Recall Revelation

Stop by the Elka Almanac today & introduce yourself!    

If you're interested in having your pet blog featured on Pet Blogs United, drop us a line at PBU at comcast dot net.

13 comments:

Catherine Anne said...

yay! we're big fans of elka :)

browndogcbr said...

Hi Y'all!

Yes, we know Elka! What a sweety!

Y'all hurry by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

speedyrabbit said...

a beautiful puppy!heehee

easyweimaraner said...

Nice post! I like this fabulous Dober-girl!!!

Ruby said...

Oh, I know Elka, too! She's a cutie pie, and well worth the read!

Kisses,

Ruby

Chicco said...

Elka is so beautiful!!
have a nice weekend, dear friends.
Woof, woof,

Chicco

Tamago said...

Elka is so beautiful!!

Roberta @ Silverwalk said...

You rock, Elka! and yes, Dobies are smart (are you listening, part Dobie Justus?).

Loy Cerf said...

Hi Elka, I, too, like big dogs. My Moosie is a lab/newfoundland mix...quite a hand full. Really like your blog. Keep up the good work!

Bailey Be Good! said...

Yay, Elka!! :) :)

Woofs & huggies, <3

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

Jen said...

Thanks for featuring me (well, us. I write the blog, but without Elka, there wouldn't be one!)

Glad everybody has enjoyed reading ^^

mistyshoreschesapeakes said...

A beautiful Doberman! I love to read why people blog. I love the bunny ear photo, what a great smile :)

Kia said...

What a cutie Elka is! I will be making a visit to your blog :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails