About Pet Blogs United

Pet Blogs United aims to support our fellow pet bloggers by encouraging members to visit other members and leave comments. It’s a great way to find great blogs & new friends.

Pet bloggers are some of the kindest people we’ve come across, so we know that with your help, this site will become a great place for everyone.
We will have a featured blogger every week once we get going and that person will hopefully be showered with comments from our members.

To be a PBU featured blogger, first become a follower through Google Friend Connect (juct click the follow button you always see). Then just send an e-mail to Pet Blogs United. We'll contact you, have you pick some of your favorite posts and feature you when your turn comes up on the list. Pet Blogs United will only feature blogs about, by or for pets & animals.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Thundershirt Rocks

Hello, Oskar's mom person Pam here.  Oskar has always been terrified of thunder and fireworks.  After reading about the Thundershirt, and talking to a couple of vets about it we decided to order one for Oskar.

It came after we got home from our camping trip and today I had a chance to try it out.  Here's Oskar during a loud evening of fireworks.


I cannot stress to you what an amazing thing this was for me to see.  Any thunder or firworks has always sent Oskar into a shaking fit, hiding in the bathtub or behind my chair for the duration.  In less than a minute of putting the Thundershirt on Oskar he climbed onto the couch and assumed this position.

I was thrilled to have him be able to relax instead of being scared to death.  The Thundershirt is supposed to work for everything from loud noises to seperation anxiety, & I'm here to tell you that it worked for this schnauzer almost immediately.

It's made of soft, fuzzy cotton with velcro all around so that you can put it snugly around the body.  We bought the Thundershirt ourselves and are receiving no compensation at all for this post, I just wanted to put it out there for any other dogs who may have these same type of issues.  It gets 4 paws up from this family!

*This post is re-posted from Oskar's Blog for all of our PBU members who have pets with anxiety.

17 comments:

Mel B said...

Thanks for sharing! We'd tried the bodywrap with an ace-type bandage when we noticed our foster becoming anxious over boiling water, the oven fan, etc. It didn't seem to help, so I'll keep this in mind should it happen again with a future foster!

Bailey said...

Mom has been working on Dad to get one for Bailey to try out. The more positive stories she has to share the easier it is to bring him on board. Thanks for sharing.

-Katy & Bailey

Finn said...

That is what everyone is saying! Glad it worked for you guys too!!!

littlemissjackie said...

Hi Mr. Oskar and Miss Pam! I'm so glad to hear that Oskar does so well with his Thundershirt! Dad saw an advertisement for them on TV right after we saw your postie and he asked Mom about it and they think that it would work great for me since I have some anxiety problems sometimes. We might get one for Dillon too! Thanks for your review and I'm so glad it helps Mr. Oskar!

Hector, Lola, and Tony said...

Hi there! We just found you blog and love it! -Hector, Lola, and Tony

living, laughing, and loving in Loftinland said...

That is so wonderful for Oskar...to be able to relax now during thunderstorms....wish we would have known about these when our sweet Angel was still with us...firecrackers and thunderstorms terrified her....so happy for you and Oskar!

Brian said...

I think that is so terrific that it worked so well for Oskar! Too bad they don't make them for cats!!!

Bailey Be Good! said...

I'm so glad that the Thundershirt worked for Oskar! My furry sister, Nala has been using the Thundershirt for a while now. Sometimes I'm not sure if it's working, but other times I see a slight positive result with it. I have a few reviews on my site. :)

Woofs & hugs,

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

petdoginsurance said...

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!
Dog Sitting Boston

Mr. Pip said...

I think we are going to try one, too!

Your pal, Pip

tubby3pug said...

Im so glad the thundersthirt is helping you feel better! Storms are no fun

ForPetsSake said...

We sell them at our clinic and have had great reviews on them so far - I'm glad he's not so stressed!

meowmeowmans said...

Wow, that is amazing! I'm so glad it worked so well for Oskar!

Pup Fan said...

I originally bought the Storm Defender Cape because I wasn't sure how Bella would do with the tighter Thundershirt. I think I'm going to have to give it a try though.

Kirby the Dorkie said...

Kirby isn't afraid of thunder but we have been hearing good things about the Thundershirt! We love your blog so we want to give you the Versatile Blogger Award!

http://www.kirbythedorkie.com/2011/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

Kristin G. said...

I know how you feel. It's great when you find something that helps. Our male whippet, Xander, has always been terrified of thunder. After years of trying to help him with sedatives, we finally got a Thundershirt for him this spring. It's not a cure-all for him, but it definitely helps. I'm glad you've found something that helps Oskar! xo

Padfoot said...

Mom gots me a Storm Defender cape last year for my fear of the thunderstorms, but it didn't work for me. She finely figur'd out dat I wasn't skeered of the storms in the usual way. I skeered of dat noise it makes. Sos now I gets medicine to make me sleepies and dats what works for me. It took us two whole years, dat cape, lots of udder stuff, but finelies we figured it out. I'm glad your mom person figured yours out, too.

-Paddy

Related Posts with Thumbnails