This is a guest post, actually we're re-posting this from The World According To Lexi, written by Nitro's person Christina:
Nitro broke his toe & it has been a very challenging week this week with having a six month old puppie that is literally full of energy but can't play because of his leg injury. I think we came up with some creative ideas to keep him occupied. Here are some of the steps we have taken to keep Nitro somewhat sane through this tough healing process.
1. We set up a big play pen area in the middle of the living room covered with blankets and pillows. We call it the "UFC Puppy Octagon" playpen. It helps him stay right in the middle of our daily routines and activities.
2. We purchased a very large treat red rubber Kong so we can feed him his meals through the Kong (keeps him from getting bored). It actually takes him about 20 to 30 minutes to eat his meal from the Kong.
3. We purchased some very large rawhide bones that are two big for him to chew any large pieces off. This way it keeps him interested in the bone for some time (but no danger of a big piece ending up in his belly).
4. We purchased a smaller Kong and line it with peanut butter. This keeps him busy for 20 minutes or so.
5. I took a lead rope and tied toys all over it to dangle it over into his UFC pen. He loves playing.
6. We let our little dog Tallulah go in and play with him but they both have to maintain a down position. I also join them in the pen and referee to make sure no one gets out of control.
7. This one is very important. Every morning I have him go in the car with me when I run my errands (usually takes us about two hours of running around). He is usually starting to go to sleep in the car on the way home.
8. We are still doing short training sessions for example like sit, stay, and lay down while he is in his "UFC Puppy" enclosure.
9. We take him outside to lay around in the sunshine on our back deck so he doesn't feel so home bound.
We are all doing very well so far considering how challenging it can be to keep a 6 month old Boxer puppy calm. We are only five days in to this adventure with 16 days to go. Wish us luck!
Below are some photos of our Petsmart trip on Saturday. Nitro laid in the buggy and just chilled out (and got a lot of attention from customers in the store)while we spent another $ 65 on treats and toys to keep him occupied. The photos under our Petsmart trip are Nitro in the car on the ride home and of Nitro napping in his new "UFC Playpen" once we returned home.
Here you can see a little bit of the layout of his "UFC Puppy Octagon" playpen.
Thanks to Chritina for allowing us to post these great ideas for keeping an injured puppy occupied!