About Pet Blogs United

Pet Blogs United aims to support our fellow pet bloggers by encouraging members to visit other members and leave comments. It’s a great way to find great blogs & new friends.

Pet bloggers are some of the kindest people we’ve come across, so we know that with your help, this site will become a great place for everyone.
We will have a featured blogger every week once we get going and that person will hopefully be showered with comments from our members.

To be a PBU featured blogger, first become a follower through Google Friend Connect (juct click the follow button you always see). Then just send an e-mail to Pet Blogs United. We'll contact you, have you pick some of your favorite posts and feature you when your turn comes up on the list. Pet Blogs United will only feature blogs about, by or for pets & animals.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Talkie Tuesday ~ A Lucky Dog Dog Walking

Today we are talking to Stacey Harmis from What Up Dog blog and A Lucky Dog dog walking service.

So Stacey, how did you get started with A Lucky Dog dog walking service?

My friend and I were walking dogs for another service and decided it would be better for us to go out on our own. Thus, A Lucky Dog was born.
How many dogs do you usually walk on a given day or in a week?

Usually 3-5 on a daily basis.

Tell me about some of your regular customers.

I love them all! Rocky is a typical Chihuahua, in that he is very loyal to one of his owners. If the owner is at home when we come, he has to stay out of sight so that Rocky doesn’t become aggressive. Otherwise, he’s a real mush! Avery and Carly are beagle “sisters” who are very sweet. Avery, especially, is a real snuggler. Carter and Finn are Cavalier “brothers” who are adorable. Finn is a puppy and Carter is almost a year old. Finn does everything his big brother does! It’s too funny! Mugzy is a boxer puppy who is full of life and a real cuddlebug as well. I’m having so much fun with him! Last, is a young couple who foster dogs who are brought up from kill shelters in the south. It has been so heartwarming to see these wonderful dogs get a second chance at a happy life!

Have you had to deal with unruly dogs, that didn’t know how to walk nicely? Do you train them to do so?

We have a “magic leash trick” we learned from one of our clients. First you clip the leash to the dog’s collar. Then you wrap the leash around the dog’s chest directly in back of the front legs. Then pull the leash under the part where you started on the dog’s back. When you walk the dog, the leash automatically tightens around the dog’s chest if he pulls. 99% of the time the dog will walk nicely. It’s magic!


What made you decide to start blogging about your experiences?

I love to write and I usually see the funny side of life. Plus I have lots of time to think while I’m walking all these dogs so it was a natural evolution. I love to take and ordinary experience and put a humorous spin on it.

Does Wally, your Westie get to go with you on any of your walks?

Of course!! He has a lot to say about it if he’s left home; usually he give me the guilty eyes! He’s also the Director of Socialization for A Lucky Dog. He’s in charge of socializing all the puppies and rescue dogs that I walk and he takes his job very seriously. He gets paid in cheese too which he also loves!

Do you ever have any of those comical movie moments, when the dogs seem to be walking you, or you end up tied up in a bunch of leashes? There have got to be some comical moments that you can share with our readers.

So many! Once I locked myself out of a client’s home and had to find an unlocked window to crawl through. I was sure someone would see me and call the police, but I lucked out. After that I learned to keep my keys on a lanyard around my neck at all times! Another time I didn’t know there was a hole in the poop bag. It was full and I was carrying it in the same hand as the leash which means it was bouncing off my leg with every step I took. At the end of the walk I looked down and the poop had leaked out of the bag and onto my leg with every bounce. Gross but funny!!

Stacey, thanks for sharing your stories with our readers!

Stay tuned for a great coupon later this afternoon here on Pet Blogs United!


5 comments:

Amber DaWeenie said...

Now dis posty had me in stitches! I hope Mom doesn't try dat leash ting on me. Butt...I walk purrty nice on a leash so not to worry.

Oz the Terrier said...

What a wonderful post...and what a lucky Westie to get paid in cheese!

Frankie Furter said...

I would love to see a PICTURE of how that Magic Leash is done.

Loved the Holey Poop Bag story. HEHEHEHE

Mariodacat said...

It's interesting to read about a Dog Walker's experience. M says he she were younger, she take on walking a couple of dogs as she loves to take walks and also loves doggies.

Mumsy, Chancy and Company said...

This was a great story. I really enjoyed reading it. Hugs

Related Posts with Thumbnails