About Pet Blogs United

Pet Blogs United aims to support our fellow pet bloggers by encouraging members to visit other members and leave comments. It’s a great way to find great blogs & new friends.

Pet bloggers are some of the kindest people we’ve come across, so we know that with your help, this site will become a great place for everyone.
We will have a featured blogger every week once we get going and that person will hopefully be showered with comments from our members.

To be a PBU featured blogger, first become a follower through Google Friend Connect (juct click the follow button you always see). Then just send an e-mail to Pet Blogs United. We'll contact you, have you pick some of your favorite posts and feature you when your turn comes up on the list. Pet Blogs United will only feature blogs about, by or for pets & animals.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Life Bewhiskered ~ Talkie Tuesday

For today's Talkie Tuesday we are talking with Eleanor from A Life Bewhiskered. She & her cultured cats Ze & Spock fill us in on life in Brazil.


Wow, a Brit in Brazil with 2 bilingual cats. First why don’t you explain how all of that came about for our readers!

I moved to Brazil last year to live with my boyfriend, who is Brazilian. Since then we got married and moved from Rio to Sergipe in the north east. He knows that I am crazy about cats and that I was really missing my old cat, Kenickie, so when we finally got a place of our own he took me to an adoption fair to get a kitten...well, we came away with two of course!

As for the bilingual bit - I speak to them in English, my husband often speaks to them in Portuguese and they are starting to respond to both. Spock, especially, is a smart little guy.

Is there a large homeless pet problem in Brazil?

Yes there is. It's very sad to see so many cats and dogs wandering around on their own and scavenging on the road side. But there are people here who try to help them. One place I visited had a large community of stray cats and kittens but they all looked very healthy and I found out that the locals put food out for them. There are also rehoming groups, like the one we got the boys from, who do their best to catch strays and then rehome them.

What made you decide to start blogging?

I was thinking about how short kitten hood is, the old 'they grow up so fast' thing, and I wanted to keep a record of this crazy time for when they are old, fat and docile. I then thought about my family back in the UK and how I wanted them to be able to 'meet' my cats. So, the idea of doing something online was born.

Now why don’t you tell us about the stars of your blog, Ze & Spock, how did they come to live with you? Are they international cats of mystery?

They were both found as tiny kittens living on the streets. We know no more than that, but I suspect that their mothers were strays. They were about 2 months old when we brought them home. Zé was quite ill but we took him to the vet the day after we got him and he improved quickly. He's now much bigger and fluffy and happy.

Spock does act like an international cat of mystery! He's always sneaking around stalking something, animate or inanimate! Zé is a lot more laid back. He's very zen, hence his name Zé Yoda. As I write I tend to think of them as characters in a film. Spock is normally the main character and Zé is his side-kick. That is how they behave at home anyway; Zé loves to watch Spock in action.


What’s your favorite bit about blogging?

I love to make people smile, which is why I try to keep everything very light-hearted. It gives me a real feel of achievement when someone tells me that they laughed at something I posted. I'm also very visual. I love pictures, so I try to illustrate every story. The cats are great for this. I have a lot of fun chasing around the house with my camera.

Will you be adding any more pets to your home anytime soon?

I don't think so. My husband would like to get a dog someday but our apartment is not huge and, to be honest, Spock and Zé have filled the place with enough craziness for the time being. I can't even imagine adding another creature to mix just yet!

Thanks to all of them for their time for our Talkie Tuesday interview!

9 comments:

Momo and Pinot said...

We enjoyed reading the interview with cute photos.. We're glad to hear there are many people out there who try to help homeless animals....

Momo & Pinot xoxo

mayziegal said...

Awwww...Spock and Ze are SO very cute! They sure did get lucky when they found such a pawsome forever home.

I specially liked the part abouts them getting old, fat and docile. It kinda made me laugh cuz our kitteh Cap'n Ripley might be old and fat but docile? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

Chicco said...

Hello! your blog is beautiful and I follow you now. If you like you could follow me in my blog.

Chicco

The Cat From Hell said...

What a great story! Its nice to hear about cats so far away!
Nellie

Catsparella said...

What sweet little kitty babies, oh my!

Eleanor said...

Thank you for the kind comments everyone. I've been out all day and I just came home to find that I was Talkie Tuesday this week! It's a very nice end to the day :)

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

thanks for introducing us to this interesting blog! I am on my way over to check them out!

Neeko said...

This is such a pawsome interview my dear friend!
The kitties are sooo adorable and we are so very happy for them that they also found their forever home :o)

Later,
Neeko :o)

Swimtaxi said...

Great photos ... I can't wait to check out your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails