About Pet Blogs United

Pet Blogs United aims to support our fellow pet bloggers by encouraging members to visit other members and leave comments. It’s a great way to find great blogs & new friends.

Pet bloggers are some of the kindest people we’ve come across, so we know that with your help, this site will become a great place for everyone.
We will have a featured blogger every week once we get going and that person will hopefully be showered with comments from our members.

To be a PBU featured blogger, first become a follower through Google Friend Connect (juct click the follow button you always see). Then just send an e-mail to Pet Blogs United. We'll contact you, have you pick some of your favorite posts and feature you when your turn comes up on the list. Pet Blogs United will only feature blogs about, by or for pets & animals.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Forever Home Cat Rescue ~ Talkie Tuesday


Today we are talking to Beth from Forever Home Cat Rescue.


Beth, first why don’t you tell us a little about you and your history with pets.

I suppose I’ve always been rescuing something. From a sad little guinea pig in a Kmart cage, to a frightened dog running in the highway. I grew up with parents who loved animals and encouraged me to be crazy/silly about them.  I could’ve been part of ANY animal rescue, but felt that I was best suited to help the cats.

What made you decide to start a cat rescue?

There’s a need for a cat rescue that is PEOPLE oriented. I think as animal rescuers we forget that this is a people business. I work with people far more than I work with the cats!

It’s so easy to forget to say “thank you”, “I appreciate you” and inadvertently alienate volunteers when you’re in animal rescue. There are too many people who think cat rescue volunteers are a bunch of “crazy cat ladies” - I really wanted to change people’s perspective about animal rescue.

I rescue cats to make people’s lives better!

Forever Home is a relatively new venture for you isn’t it?

It is! But I’m not new to cat rescue! I’m originally from Southern California and was involved with cat rescue there for about 20 years. I’ve served on several cat rescue Boards here in Toronto, so am excited to bring together the best of my knowledge.

I’ve recently applied as a registered charity and am anxious to get started. We’ve already rescued our first 3 cats for our new rescue – and placed them into foster homes…. ahh….so many cats to rescue, and so much to do to stay on top of it all.

Where do your cats go after they come to you?

The first place they go is to the vets for vaccinations, spay/neuter, flea treatment, deworming and veterinary exam. (Whew!) FHCR is a foster-based rescue, so after their trip to the vets, all the cats are placed in a loving foster home where they can be treated like part of the family until their forever home comes along.


What is your long-term goal for Forever Home Cat Rescue?

Wouldn’t it be nice to think that every cat had a forever home and I’d be out of a volunteer job? Until that day, we’re going to keep adding new foster homes, rescuing cats and finding their forever homes.
I would love the rescue to have a shelter, but that’s so far into the future! Right now, I’ll be happy to have all my veterinary bills paid on time.

Is there any way Pet Blogs United readers can get involve or help with your rescue?

Absolutely! If anyone lives in the Greater Toronto area, I am always looking for new and enthusiastic foster homes. If you’re at a distance, FHCR is certainly looking for monetary donations to help with our endeavours. ALL donations go directly to veterinary care for the cats! I also take towels and small blankets for the cats to lay on at the shelter. Most of the time they have nothing to lay on but one sheet of newspaper.

Thank you so much for the opportunity to talk about Forever Home Cat Rescue. It’s already starting to change lives and I’m so grateful!

Beth, thank you for sharing your story with my readers and especially all of the wonderful work you do!

10 comments:

Kea said...

We live a few hours east of Beth and have been following her blog for a while. Sometimes the mom has difficulty reading it or watching the videos, because the stories are tragic (it's a high kill "shelter" that Beth rescues from), but more often than not, there are "small miracles" and real joy.

We do urge anyone who can help out in some way to please do so! Beth does a very difficult thing and we send her universal blessings for it.

-Kim and the Fuzzy Tales crew

rescuedinsanity.com said...

Beth is such an inspiring person. And I love her philosophy! The more people involved in rescue, the better. Because it is people that have caused these problems in the first place.

Thanks for featuring such a fantastic group!

Angie, Catladyland/Katt Food said...

Wow -- Beth certainly does good work. What an angel!

mayziegal said...

What a very nice pawson that Beth lady is! She's very smart about thanking her volunteers. My mom said she used to work for a nonprofit and saying "thank you" was probably one of the best things you could ever do. And she says it's surprising how many nonprofit peoples forget to do that.

Good luck to her!

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Laurie Harrison said...

Glad I found this blog. I am a critter lover myself. Just took in a new dog over Christmas. She needed a home and I had one. It works. I'm having a big pet themed giveaway right now. Ends the 22nd. If you care to enter or share with your readers. Giving away a Pink Deluxe Kritter Kondo and more sponsored pet products. Do stop by.
Laurie
http://grandma-sez-so.blogspot.com/2010/12/2011-kick-off-everything-pets-theme-for.html

House of the Discarded said...

Thank you so much for the opportunity to spread the word about my new rescue. I'm proud to say that we had NINE adoptions in the first 12 days!

Thank you again!

Beth Turner
Forever Home Cat Rescue

Cat Chat With Caren And Cody said...

great cause! thanks for a great interview!

Pauley, Middy, the Mr. or the Mrs. said...

Thank you for all that you do!

pawprints said...

this is a good cause! thank you for rescuing those dogs! I hope more people will become like you!

lukascad said...

Please, can you PM me and tell me number of much more thinks about this, I am truly fan of one’s webpage…gets solved properly asap.

online pharmacy

Related Posts with Thumbnails