About Pet Blogs United

Pet Blogs United aims to support our fellow pet bloggers by encouraging members to visit other members and leave comments. It’s a great way to find great blogs & new friends.

Pet bloggers are some of the kindest people we’ve come across, so we know that with your help, this site will become a great place for everyone.
We will have a featured blogger every week once we get going and that person will hopefully be showered with comments from our members.

To be a PBU featured blogger, first become a follower through Google Friend Connect (juct click the follow button you always see). Then just send an e-mail to Pet Blogs United. We'll contact you, have you pick some of your favorite posts and feature you when your turn comes up on the list. Pet Blogs United will only feature blogs about, by or for pets & animals.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Talkie Tuesday ~ Just Jesse


Today we are happy to talk to Heather & Jesse.  Jesse happens to be somewhat of a celebrity, so check out his blog Just Jesse.

Jesse & Heather on David Letterman!

Heather, how long have you and Jesse been together? What made you choose a Jack Russell Terrier?

Jesse and I have been together for 5 years now since I brought him home at 8 weeks old on my 16th Birthday. From that day on we have been inseparable. I fell in love with the Jack Russell Terrier breed after meeting a very special little JRT named Fraiser, when I lived in England. His owner had left on TDY to the United States, and the person who was supposed to watch Fraiser fell through; leaving Fraiser without food, water, or shelter. After taking in Fraiser for a month, I fell in love with his personality, and upon his owner’s return was heartbroken when I had to give him back. Ever since then, I wanted a Jack Russell Terrier of my very own. After waiting 5 years, I was finally blessed with a little angel on four paws; Jesse. What drew me to the JRT breed was their charisma, energy level, cute antics, and zest for life. Their “always ready for adventure” attitude was one of the many things that had me hooked on this wonderful breed.

Jesse has had a successful career in the media, what that your plan for him all along, or did it happen by accident?

Jesse’s successful career in the media was purely coincidental. I got Jesse because I wanted a wonderful best friend and sidekick to enjoy vacations with and have fun rollerblading together. We started learning tricks because of the enhanced communication and bond that came from spending time together. Jesse loves learning new things and his smile while doing the things he loves is priceless. I loved Jesse’s personality so much, and wanted to share his cute antics with the world, so started posting videos on YouTube. We were then contacted through Jesse’s YouTube account by different media outlets, and the rest just sort of followed. Being in different media outlets, we have had many wonderful trips together to numerous states, and the time together and memories is something that I will always treasure.

Jesse's Circle-K commercial
You’re a big believer in clicker training, what do you see as the benefits of using a clicker?

The best benefit of Clicker Training is the wonderful relationship it fosters between you and your dog. Clicker Training is much more than just teaching a behavior with a clicker, but a way of life. The whole philosophy of building trust, mutual understanding, and having fun extends to all aspects of life and communications with your dog. The thing I really love about Clicker Training is the encompassment of teaching your dog, and embracing training as something you do together as a team.
Another benefit is increased confidence and creativity with your dog. Through Clicker Training your pup learns that his own actions and behavior, causes good things to happen.

The benefit of using a clicker also includes an increased understanding of learning different tricks and behaviors. It is much faster to catch a behavior by clicking it, then using a word. The click is always the same, and once you charge up the clicker by giving a reward after the click, your dog understands that they did something right when they hear it. The click is something your dog looks forward to hear as it is a promise of a reward. Rewards include anything your dog likes; treats, toys, petting, or a nice game of tug.

One of the most important things to remember with the clicker is that you should make sure to let your dog know how happy you are with their efforts by giving them verbal praise and petting as well. It is an awesome feeling to see your best friend’s eyes light up when they are having a great time learning something new.


What do you see as the number one mistake most people while training their dogs?

I think the number one mistake most people make when training with their dogs is taking it too fast and not at their dog’s pace. Every dog is different, and some pick up things faster than others. Patience and understanding are the most important parts of teaching your dog something. If your dog is not doing something that you want, they simply don’t understand the request. Going back a step and teaching them what you would like of them will build a foundation for a better relationship as you are listening to what your dog has to say, and adjusting accordingly.

Is Jesse your first dog?

Yes, Jesse is my first and only dog. He is my heart dog and best friend. sse has his own special personality, and is truly a member of the family.

What’s your favorite story about Jesse?

One of my favorite stories about Jesse is when he was a ninja spy for a Malt ball.

I was gathering materials to make a card, and put a bag of Maltesers on the bed behind me and started looking through a bag of stickers. I turned around and saw Jesse licking his lips. I told him those things are bad for him and he shouldn’t be eating any, his reply was a kiss of innocence as he lay down on the bed. I went to get more card stock, and when I returned I saw Jesse delicately take a malt ball out of the bag and eat it. I removed the bag from the bed, and put it on the floor next to me. I sat down with my back up to the bed and started making the card, as Jesse was on the bed right behind my head. Jesse then started nudging the back of my neck and kneading my shoulders with his paws. Then he jumped down on the floor right next to me. He started playing with his toys as I watched him. When I went back to making the card Jesse waited…then waited some more…then…… BAM!! He swooped into the malt bag and stole one malt ball, looked at me to see if I was watching, then dashed up onto the bed to eat it! I was cracking up so much  This memory always makes me laugh as it shows one of the adorable antics that Jesse does that brings a smile to my face. Jesse truly is my little comedian.

Heather, thank you for taking time out of your schedule to tell us about Jesse.

Thank you so much for contacting us!

8 comments:

Caren Gittleman said...

Wow!!! How cool!!!! You scored a "celebrity" interview!!! Woooo hooooo!!!

I loved reading/learning about Jesse and am going to go and check him out more now!

xoxo

Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com

Oscar the Terrier said...

GR8 interview! It is so wonderful to see dog and owner having such a close bond!

Peggy Frezon said...

I've always loved JRTs because they are so clever and fun. I know they need to be kept busy, and it seems like this duo work great together!

Wyatt said...

Jesse cracks us up! What a clever little terrier he is...and famous too!

Wyatt

mayziegal said...

Gosh, how exciting that you got to interview Jesse's mom! I think Jesse is just SUPER amazing and his mom is awfully smart, too, to be able to teach him all those tricks. Wow!

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

All About Ferrets said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
All About Ferrets said...

Congratulations to Jesse and his family! Jesse's such a happy looking fellah! Love his face :D

I've been told that JRTs aren't a ferret's best friend; however I have heard of people who have both in the house and they get on really well with each other :)

I reckon Jesse would be great with my ferrets - LOL!!

Pup Fan said...

I'm such a fan of Jesse! It's really cool that he learned using clicker training. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails