About Pet Blogs United

Pet Blogs United aims to support our fellow pet bloggers by encouraging members to visit other members and leave comments. It’s a great way to find great blogs & new friends.

Pet bloggers are some of the kindest people we’ve come across, so we know that with your help, this site will become a great place for everyone.
We will have a featured blogger every week once we get going and that person will hopefully be showered with comments from our members.

To be a PBU featured blogger, first become a follower through Google Friend Connect (juct click the follow button you always see). Then just send an e-mail to Pet Blogs United. We'll contact you, have you pick some of your favorite posts and feature you when your turn comes up on the list. Pet Blogs United will only feature blogs about, by or for pets & animals.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

All About Ferrets ~ Featured Blogger

This week we get to learn a little more about those adorable little creatures from All About Ferrets!

First we'll learn a little bit about Mash:

Mash
Mash was my first ferret and thanks to her wonderfully warm and loving personality, I have been hooked on ferret ownership since then.

When I first got Mash in 1994 I’m ashamed to say I was so disappointed.  I had hoped to get one of those “raccoon-looking” ferrets with the cute mask.  Instead I got this tiny white ball of fluff with what looked to be angry red eyes that seemed to bore into me when she looked at me.

Angry red eyes? What a joke!  Mash was the sweetest little thing ever and the thing I regret to this day is that I wasted the first two weeks of having her because I didn’t know enough about ferrets and their quirky behaviour. 

She’d leap up at me to play and I thought it was to attack me.  She’d do her very uncoordinated “weasel wardance” and I thought she was having some kind of fit!

In those days information wasn’t particularly easy to come by on the Web and I spent a lot of time trying to research what ferrets were like as pets.  I finally came to understand what her antics were all about and that she was inviting me to play with her.  Stupid me, wasting those first couple of weeks of bonding with her due to my ignorance.

Mash was so tiny, only 600g, that she couldn’t climb up onto our bed so I used to put a plank of wood, which had a carpet attached to one side of it, so that she could climb up and snuggle under our blanket at night.
She was about 2 years old when we got her and she lived for another 8 years.  My vet told me she hoped she would never be on duty if I had to bring Mash in to be helped to the Rainbow Bridge but, thankfully, that never happened. 

One afternoon she seemed to have a stroke of some sort.  She slept in our bed that night, not moving very much, and the next morning, while I had her in my arms, she took her last breath and passed over to the Bridge.

I howled like a wounded animal when she died.  It was like losing a much loved family member and even now, the memory of that occasion still makes me burst into tears.

Mash taught me everything I needed to know about ferrets. 

She showed me that they were not vicious, or smelly, or keen to bite but that they were gentle and loving and cared about us as much as our dog and our cats did.

Thanks to Mash I have been totally head-over-heels in love with these gorgeous little animals since that time and I doubt very much that I’ll ever be without one in my life. 

They all have such different personalities and are so unique in their own funny little ways. They bring so much love and laughter into my life and I am forever grateful that I was lucky enough to be owned by Mash and all the other ferrets in my life.

Mojo
Here are some of Nona's favorite posts:

This is some really cool ferret photography.

Ferrets in the English army!

Mojo and Zac are a grea duo.

Our main goal here at PBU is to help bloggers reach out and find one another, so I sincerely hope you'll visit All About Ferrets and show them some comment love!

If you are interested in being a Featured Blogger on Pet Blogs United drop us an e-mail at PBU at comcast dot net.

Have a great weekend, friends!

15 comments:

Lavi said...

Ferrets are really lovely little creatures. I went to All About Ferrets too and will keep visiting.

I'm sorry about Mash's fate, but I'm glad that there will always be a ferret in your life

Max the Quilt Cat said...

Thanks for the blog post. I didn't know much about ferrets before.

have a great day... pawhugs, Max

Mack said...

Mom LOVES ferrets! She wants one but is afraid I might not be nice to him. MOM!
We will go straight away to the Ferret Info Site!!

Oscar the Terrier said...

Wow! I had no idea ferrets were as sweet and cuddly as us dogs and cats! Thanx for this educational post. (By the way, they are quite cute!!!)

Minnie and Mack said...

Mack and I have cousins that are ferrets that come and visit from time to time. I don't know if you saw our post recently, but Uncle Festus, the ferret, passed over the Rainbow Bridge :(
Mash was so lucky to have a human that wanted to find out more!
We'll check out her site!

Drools and licks,
Minnie and Mack

Brian said...

They are really, really cute little critters!

Minna Krebs said...

I've never known a ferret, butt it was great to read about Mash. And what a great name he had!!!

meowmeowmans said...

Thanks for the neat -- and informative -- post! I don't know a lot about ferrets, other than that they are cute, so your post was really interesting. :)

PaigeandSimba said...

Great post! I know that I didn't know half of those things! What a cute blog, too!

Mr. Pip said...

Always interesting to learn about different animals! Thanks so much for sharing.

Your pal, Pip

Ettel, Charlie Poodle, and Emma Pitty said...

I was going to adopt a ferret instead of Oliver but then I found out that idiotically they're illegal in NYC and labeled "exotic" animals. How ridiculous?!?!?!? I didn't want to buy one and no rescue would adopt out to me where they're illegal, so I went with critter #2 and got a bunny. Some day though, we'll add a ferret!

Novroz said...

What a cute Ferret! the color is very interesting...so white and beautiful

Bobby said...

Hi, We have not had a ferret, theY do seem a great pet to have. Mash looks gorgeous I am glad she went to the bridge herself, It is so hard when we have to help them go.

cherie said...

What a lovely story. I will visit frequently

All About Ferrets said...

Thanks so much, guys, for all your positive comments.

Even now ferrets seem to be so misunderstood and it hurts me to hear about how badly they can be treated by their owners.

Hopefully by raising their profiles on pet blogs like this great one, we'll be able to change people's misconceptions one post at a time :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails