About Pet Blogs United

Pet Blogs United aims to support our fellow pet bloggers by encouraging members to visit other members and leave comments. It’s a great way to find great blogs & new friends.

Pet bloggers are some of the kindest people we’ve come across, so we know that with your help, this site will become a great place for everyone.
We will have a featured blogger every week once we get going and that person will hopefully be showered with comments from our members.

To be a PBU featured blogger, first become a follower through Google Friend Connect (juct click the follow button you always see). Then just send an e-mail to Pet Blogs United. We'll contact you, have you pick some of your favorite posts and feature you when your turn comes up on the list. Pet Blogs United will only feature blogs about, by or for pets & animals.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Huh?

While staying with friends in Costa Rica I had the chance to watch a family interacting with their 7 month old terrier mix pup. Duke (unfortunately pronounced ‘Dookie’ in Spanish) was everything you’d want in a dog; engaging, playful, responsive, friendly and cute to beat the band, a classic little scruffy Disney character.

My Spanish is limited and when the father of the family began to order Duke around (to show me his trick of rolling over) I realized that both Duke and I were in the same boat, neither of us understood what he was saying. I watched Duke as he tried his best, dropping to his belly, rolling onto his back, but even as the commanding voice got louder and the hand gestures accompanying it grew bigger and more expansive, Duke stayed belly up, unsure what his next move should be. Finally when the ‘roll over’ never occurred dad waved it off with a laugh and made a disparaging remark about the dog’s intelligence.

This experience highlighted for me the challenges dogs face in trying to learn what the heck we want from them. I suspect in Duke’s case he figured out what made the loud, commanding voices stop and did that. Perhaps he had done complete rollovers for his owner, but with the pressure on both dog and owner to perform, staying in a classic ‘please don’t hurt me’ position seemed the safest choice for little Duke, especially if he did not completely understand which behavior he was rewarded for (with the cessation of shouting) in the past.

The translation challenge extended to my own interpretation of Duke’s behavior. I cut up small pieces of cheese and began to teach Duke to spin. In between spins Duke sunk into a ‘down’. I thought that perhaps this was a behavior he had been reinforced for in the past and he used it as a default. I began to reinforce a ‘stand’ position, but inevitably Duke slipped into a ‘down’. I joked to his owner that he was a lazy boy and we shared a laugh about that until it occurred to me that indeed Duke was slipping down.

The floors in the house, typical to many homes in Costa Rica, has ceramic tile floors. They were so clean and shiny that on several occasions I did a double take, thinking they were wet. When I got Duke spinning again I kept an eye on his feet and could see that when he wasn’t lying down his furry paws would slide on the floor. Whether standing or sitting he constantly had to adjust his footing to keep his feet under him. When he was sitting his front paws gradually slid forward and rather than fight gravity he simply went with it and ended up in a ‘down’.

How often do we get frustrated with our dogs for not doing what we ask when they have no idea of what we want or when physical constraints prevent them from do it? I’ll guess that it’s more common than dogs not doing what we ask when they understand and are fully capable of performing a behavior, but choose to blow us off. Duke was lucky, the only punishment he received for noncompliance was some good natured name calling. And those were words I did understand in Spanish!

Debbie Jacobs is the author of A Guide to Living & Working with a Fearful Dog and the creator of the fearfuldogs.com website.

12 comments:

Aunt of 14 said...

This made me so sad. Because it is true. We need to take the time to learn how the dog learns, what it has to face while learning from us. We need to let the dog teach us while we teach them.

Daisy said...

Daisy and I have the same type of problem. Daisy is starting to seek out contact and come to me on her own. But I don't know if she wants to play, pet, or go outside to pee! We humans are so dense sometimes!

K-9 Katastrophe said...

Poor Duke. Thanks for opening our eyes to this! When training a dog i never use punishments instead if they don't do what I want they just don't get a treat. Some people don't understnad why I use this method instead of hitting or yelling.

K-9 Katastrophe said...

but thanks for opening our eyes to the fact that some dogs cant do what we are asking because of the flooring etc.

rescuedinsanity.com said...

Thank you for writing this. It's a good reminder to us all to be more patient and breathe through our frustrations when training. If we are a little more observant perhaps we will pick up on such problems instead of just giving up on the dog. More times than not a dog's behaviour probably has nothing to do with her intelligence levels.

jen said...

Very well said and so true! Thanks for sharing this story, it should be an eye opener to a lot of people including me:)

CindyLu's Muse said...

Excellent post - and a reminder to keep in mind our dog's perspective! Thanks :)

Kari in WeHo said...

This is so true no matter what language, spoken and non-verbal, it takes time and patience to learn how to communicate with animals

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Peggy Frezon said...

I am always inspired when I read stories about people who stop to figure out what their dog needs, and what techniques work for their dog. You are so right, most dogs simply need to understand what is being asked of them. I'm going to go give my dog Kelly a big hug.

sprinkles said...

Interesting post, I never looked at it from that perspective.

Lavi said...

It's so true, neither humans no dogs speak the other's language... So it's no use getting angry at a doggie that doesn't understand what you ask it.
I heard empathy works wonders... That the dog will relax if you're calm or get excited if you also start acting nervous. I guess that is one common language we share.
But really, learning commands is mostly about practice and rewarding the dog when it gets it right. Our doggie learned 4 small commands in one day. Of course, treats helped.

Anonymous said...

As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Thank you Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?.

Related Posts with Thumbnails