Go check out Bocci & his great site, Bocci's Beefs and say howdy!
This week is Petfinder.com's Adopt-A-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week, a week dedicated to spotlighting those pets that are most often overlooked in shelters. So many shelter pets are overlooked because they are the wrong color, because they are senior pets, or because they have special needs.
These pets have so much love to give and are just looking for their forever home.
So BlogPaws Be the Change for Pets and I are taking up the cause for the Be the Change Challenge!
So who are these "less adoptable" pets? According to a survey of Petfinder membershelters and rescues the hardest to adopt out pets are senior or older pets, those with health problems (even minor ones), victims of breed prejudice (like Pit Bulls), shy pets, and those that need to be only pets. But that's not all! A lot of people overlook black and brindle dogs and cats as well.
Here are just a few reasons to love "special" pets:
• Older pets are mellower - you don't have to worry about your lamp getting knocked over!
• Physically challenged pets are often unaffected by their handicap - but you still look like a hero!
• With "bad reputation" breeds, you get the chance to prove people wrong with your great dog!
• Dark-furred pets make it easy to accessorize - black goes with everything!
• Pets with behavioral issues allow you to form a tight bond as you overcome obstacles together!
• Big dogs are easier to find when it's time to go to the vet!
He will be a great forever friend to someone who has time to train him and teach him how to be a good pup. How many of us had the crazy-hypers when we were little? I know I did. Deputy is available from the Michigan Humane Society.
So next time you or a friend are looking to adopt, give these pets a second chance, a little more time and you never know, a less adoptable pet might just be the purrr-fect pet adoption for you!
I'm also posting this link to the BlogPaws Be the Change for Pets Facebook Page.
At the end of the week, Be the Change for Pets will tabulate everyone's blog posts, Tweets and Facebook shares so we can see our global impact!
Want to help? Draft your own Adopt-A-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week blog post, use a LAPW template, share a less adoptable pet with friends, or even put an Adopt-A-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week pet search widget on your Web site.
The last Be the Change Challenge raised over 50,000 lbs of pet food and supplies for pets
in need. Now let's get together and raise the bar for less adoptable pets!